Homeschool Situation.
Create Post

Homeschool Situation.

Here's my story/logistics, etc:

Graduated highschool HOMECHOOLED. Non-accredited co-op program, officially graduated May 30th of last year. I have the diploma they issued, it's just no accredited. Therefore: it's just a piece of paper to the Corps.

Supposedly homeschoolers are still supposed to be able to enlist tier 1.

Source: http://www.hslda.org/docs/nche/Issue...Recruiting.asp

Go figure.

I've wanted to be a Marine for about 3 years now. BUT I wanted to get a little college under my belt before enlisting after highschool.. so I attend one semester of college, got F'd with financial aid and didn't get some of my textbooks in until half way through the semester. Ended up passing 7 of 16 credit hours because of that bull. In other words my GPA started with a decimal number. Anyway I decided I had put it off long enough and wanted to go ahead and enlist into the reserve to pay for the rest of college. (The school I'm at.. isn't cheap)

So I head to the recruiter. We meet, greet, talk get job possibilities squared away, etc. I got a MEPS date that day, then I started PT'ing with the other DEP guys twice a week even though I hadn't actually DEP'd yet. He insisted that I do. Which was great, I enjoyed every second of it. So I head to MEPS, get my contract, 0321 recon to ship February 8th of 2010. (just several days ago)

Here's what happened in between then and now; I get a call about 2 days later, it's my recruiter asking about my school documentation, etc again. Well.. the officer over-seeing that recruiting section read over my stuff and decided I didn't have the credentials to enlist. Reasoning? Non accredited highschool information; and I didn't have 15 passing credit hours in college to supplement for it. Next thing I know, contract is void and my recruiter said byebye until I get 15 passing credit hours. I'm finding this out AFTER getting my CONTRACT and withdrawing from the Spring 2010 semester of school? uhg..

Now here's the deal... I don't mind going to college for one more semester (and I currently am) to get the required credentials if that's what it's going to take.. I'm just a little frustrated that I was able to sign a contract under the impression that homeschoolers can enlist only to have it voided out a couple of days later. I had already withdrawn (at the time) from the Spring semester of school in anticipation of leaving Feb. 8th. Thankfully the college's registrar office allowed me to re-enroll and re-register for classes late and get my foot back in the door at the last second (the day before classes started, to be exact). It's just.. I almost missed a semester of school because I found out (almost too late) that I'm not qualified to be a Marine. Funny though, I AM qualified to be accepted to a nice college under homeschooled credentials. Maybe it was the failing classes from my first semester fluke that turned the officer off to my file? Who knows. This is more of a rant than anything. I would like to hear some opinions on the situation and how it turned out, though. Try and ignore the pugnacious nature of this post.

My current status is enrolled as a full time student at the Georgia Institute of Technology. I'm not a moron.. and I'm trying not to think that of my recruiter, as he is a Marine whom has earned his rank. I salute him as a superior as well as whatever he has done to get to where he is now, I'm just a little fed up with the obnoxious nature of the situation. NONE THE LESS--I will do what it takes to get to Paris Island.

The only reason I'm posting this so late, is that I have friends in the Corps on active duty whom were homeschooled and graduated with non-accredited diplomas that enlisted without a hitch. Another friend of the family whom served as an officer in the corps put it plainly. "your just getting F'd and pushed around, they probably had somebody else more qualified."

I know the Marine Corps has currently met their quota for the fiscal year and are refusing some hs grads does that mean they picked someone more qualified no, they could be telling you the truth. Either way it doesn't matter get those credits and re-enlist.

Quote Originally Posted by TKOTapout View Post
    I know the Marine Corps has currently met their quota for the fiscal year and are refusing some hs grads does that mean they picked someone more qualified no, they could be telling you the truth. Either way it doesn't matter get those credits and re-enlist.
    'Nuff said there. I'm working on it.

Worst case; I just stay in college until they accept me.

if your worst case is you get an education and have more time to get ready for boot then you know your doing pretty good. Goodluck man don't lose faith.

Quote Originally Posted by TKOTapout View Post
    if your worst case is you get an education and have more time to get ready for boot then you know your doing pretty good. Goodluck man don't lose faith.
    True that man. Thanks.

Well said TKO. Just keep trying Andrew. Eventually you will get your chance.

Thread Information